AAA ONBOARD® PROGRAMS, SERVICES, AND RULES
Last updated: September 1, 2017
This document provides a general description of the AAA OnBoard programs (Programs), services (Services), and program rules and eligibility requirements (Program Rules). To participate in any Program, you must install the AAA OnBoard mobile application (OnBoard App) on a compatible mobile device and enroll in the Program using the OnBoard App. For enrollments before September 1, 2017, an approved AAA OnBoard plug-in device (Device) must have been installed and activated in your vehicle and paired with a compatible mobile device. Your participation in any Program is also subject to the terms and conditions of your membership. You may incur additional mobile data charges depending on your mobile data plan. Devices require use of a paired mobile device with a mobile data plan. The TOU is available at AAA.com/OnBoard (Website). Not all Programs or Services described below are available in all states. The words “AAA”, “we”, “us”, or “our” refer to the local AAA club and AAA affiliated insurance company.
Programs and Services. All Programs include some Services that require the transmission of vehicle or mobile device information to us (including location, miles driven, speed, braking, acceleration, time and day of the week, and connect/disconnect information). Vehicle or mobile device information will help us provide you Services, conduct research, test and improve the Programs, develop new devices and services, and develop new insurance rates, discounts and programs. We may make changes to the Services or stop offering a Service for any Program. Services vary by state and not all Services are available in every state. The current Services that may be available to you include:
- Insurance Program – AAA OnBoard Device Program. If offered in your state, you can enroll in an insurance program where you can use the Device to provide information to your AAA affiliated insurance company on your driving behavior, including driving characteristics such as speed, braking, acceleration, and time and day of the week, and to report miles driven. The mileage and driving behavior information reported by the Device may be used to determine annual mileage and a driving score at renewal and to qualify you for an insurance discount, depending on your state. This Program may also include an interactive mobile application that provides you with driving performance and trip information. This Program may not be compatible with iOS operating systems issued after iOS 10.
- Insurance Program – AAA OnBoard Mobile App Program. If offered in your state, you can enroll in an insurance program where you can use the OnBoard App to provide information to your AAA affiliated insurance company on your driving behavior, including driving characteristics such as speed, braking, acceleration, and time and day of the week, and miles driven. The mileage and driving behavior information reported by the OnBoard App may be used to determine annual mileage and a driving score at renewal and to qualify you for an insurance discount, depending on your state. This Program may also include an interactive mobile application that tracks driving performance and trips.
Program Rules. To participate in a Program, you must comply with its Program Rules, including the following:
- You must have a current AAA membership. If you cancel your membership or it is otherwise terminated, you cannot participate in a Program and must return the Device to us.
- If your Program involves a Device, participating vehicles must be of model year 1996 or more recent. Some hybrid vehicles are not compatible with Devices distributed on or after March 15, 2016.
- Participating vehicles must be insured by an AAA affiliated insurance company.
- If your Program involves a Device, you must have a qualifying smart phone with Bluetooth® to enroll and participate in a Program.
- You must be a named insured on an automobile insurance policy with a AAA affiliated insurance company that offers the Program in your state in order to enroll in an insurance Program and designate other qualifying vehicles to enroll in the insurance Program.
- You must be a resident of a state where the local AAA club or the AAA affiliated insurance company offers the Program.
- If your Program involves a Device, you must notify us which vehicle has a Device installed in it and if that Device is re-installed in a different vehicle.
- If your Program involves a Device, you must safely dispose of the Device or return the Device to us when you no longer participate in a Program or when we ask you to return it.
- You must maintain the confidentiality of access codes or passwords you create to use a Service and notify us immediately of any unauthorized use or disclosure.
- You may not use the Services for commercial or illegal purposes, including the unlawful surveillance of a person.
How to Contact Us. You can contact us by email (email@example.com) or by phone (1-866-295-1042) to end your participation in a Program or to return the Device to us. You can also contact us by mail at: AAA OnBoard Program / AAA, Mailstop A105, 3333 Fairview Rd., Costa Mesa, CA 92626.